Erik Lehmann releases RS Build Kit 2.0 for Maya
Rocket Square – aka Scanline VFX senior modeler Erik Lehmann – has released RS Build Kit 2.0, the latest version of his Maya add-on for streamlining common 3D modelling and scene layout operations.
The update introduces new workflows for curves and instances, and adds new tools ranging from a Radial duplicator for creating circular arrays, to Extruder, for converting curves to cables, ropes and pipes.
New Maya tools for workflows ranging from 3D modeling and scene layout to motion graphics
One of a set of Python tools created by Lehmann to streamline common workflows in Maya, RS Build Kit is a “compact tool … that offers powerful mesh, selection, layout, import, export and curve operations”.
New features in version 2.0 include a Radial duplicator, which duplicates the object selected to form a circular array, in a similar way to the Array modifier in Blender, or the Array Object in Cinema 4D.
There are also a couple of tools that look useful for environment artists, including Extruder, which converts a curve into a cable, rope, pipe with a single click, and Randomize Transforms, shown in use in the video above to create what could be an uneven flagstone floor.
The update also introduces a range of new options for working with curves – including a handy-looking option to snap the origin of a curve to a surface – and with instances, with a range of existing tools, including Paint, Place, Snap and Mirror now supporting instances.
RS Build Kit 2.0: full release notes
The online documentation doesn’t include a changelog for version 2.0, so below, we’ve reproduced the complete list of new and updated features from Erik’s email:
- New Radial Duplicator
- Updated Quad Fill: Now only requires a single edge input
- New Instance support (for Mirror, Place, Paint, Duplicator, Snap, Radial)
- New Convert Instances
- Updated Advanced Separate: supports maintaining object orientation
- Updated Mirror: Supports Merge, Instance, Flip UVs
- New Merge Border Vertices
- Updated Modify Pivot: Switched to Min / Max style to reach object’s center and corner points
- Updated 45 Angle: Only requires a single edge input, when the border loop is not filled
- New Transform Randomizer
- New Lock and Unlock nodes
- Updated Select by Topology: Added Stray Vertices, Hard Edges, Overlap and Check All
- Updated Select by Percentage: Now works with components
- Updated Select by Name: Supports wildcards
- Updated Select by Type and Status: Easily find Locked and Invisible nodes
- New Selection Sets / Quick Set
- New Select by Pattern: Works with Vertices, Edges and Faces
- Updated Place: now works with groups and supports instances
- Updated Paint: now works with groups and supports instances
- Updated Duplicator: supports instances
- New Snap – objects and groups to selected components
- New Batch Import Maya .ma and .mb files
- New Batch Export Maya .ma and .mb files
- New Obj Fix: export / re-import as obj to clean up your mesh, maintaining hierarchy position and shader
- New Curve Tool – Rebuild Curve by length
- New Curve Tool – Set pivot to curve origin
- New Curve Tool – Snap curve origin to surface
- New Curve Tool – Reverse direction and Equalize curve direction
- New Curve Tool – Select point range
- New Curve Tool – Convert multiple edges or edge groups to curves
- New Curve Tool – Curve Analysis
- New Curve Tool – Extruder: Convert curves to geometry, in Maya 2022: Presets for Cable, Rope, Pipe, Box
- Updated Interface and icons
- Updated Available Keyboard Shortcuts
- Enhanced Performance and speed of some functions
Pricing and system requirements
RS UV Kit 2.0 is available for Maya 2019+ on Windows, Linux and macOS. A single licence costs $30; a Studio licence costs $1,500.