Luxion releases free speed-boosting update to KeyShot
Luxion has released a free update to KeyShot, its near-real-time GI renderer, further reducing render times. In its press material, the developer cites a speed boost of 50% over the previous release of the software.
KeyShot 2.2 also adds native support for SketchUp 8 and several major CAD packages, building on its existing import formats, which include 3DS, OBJ, FBX and Collada.
The software was launched last year after Luxion’s founders, including Academy Award-winning chief scientist Henrik Wann Jensen, split away from fellow renderer developer Bunkspeed.
PRESS RELEASE (Excerpts)
Luxion, the leading developer of advanced rendering and lighting technology and makers of KeyShot®, the first realtime ray tracing and global illumination program, today announced the release of KeyShot 2.2 as a free upgrade to the groundbreaking KeyShot 2 application introduced last summer.
KeyShot 2.2 delivers many improvements to the import pipeline and model interaction in realtime that makes it even easier to create photographic images from 3D CAD models. Render speeds have also dramatically improved, especially when working with complex materials.
KeyShot 2.2 further streamlines interoperability with leading CAD system by offering native support for Autodesk AutoCAD® and Inventor®, SolidWorks 2011®, CATIA® v5 and SketchUp 8. In addition, every 3Dconnexion 3D mouse can now be used in either camera or model navigation mode.
“Version 2.2 is a huge improvement for all Keyshot users,” says Kevin Quigley, principal at Quigley Design, a provider of high-end product development services to many well renown manufacturers and a beta tester of this new version.
“The new scene manager tree makes applying and editing materials much easier,” Quigley continues. ”Combined with the new part highlighting it makes moving around and editing more complex models a simple task. Not only that but the render times continue to tumble! On some models I noticed a reduction of 50% in render times between 2.1 and 2.2… and 2.1 was already fast! I won’t be able to use the excuse ‘waiting for the render to finish’ any more!”
KeyShot 2.2 improvements include:
- Greatly enhanced import pipeline
- Preservation of model structure from CAD model including all subassemblies
- Preservation of part / layer names
- Separate material column
- Improved interaction with objects in realtime
- Part outline in the realtime window
- Move multiple objects
- Significantly faster handling of large assemblies
- Ability to duplicate objects
- Support for SolidWorks 2011 and prior 32/64bit (PC only)
- Official support for CATIA v5
- Official support for Autodesk Inventor 2011 and prior
- Official support for DXF/DWG (AutoCAD)
- Support for SketchUp 8 and prior
- Render speed improvements
- Advanced Materials with complex settings render now up to 15 times faster
- Support for 3Dconnexion 3D mice
- All 3Dconnexion 3D mice are now supported by KeyShot
- Foreign language support
KeyShot 2.2 is available in Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, and Polish.
KeyShot 2 is available for Mac and PC starting at $995. KeyShot 2.2 is a free upgrade to all existing KeyShot 2 customers.