(Actually, the first official Windows beta was released last Monday, but at time of posting, there have already been two updates, with Mac OS X and Linux versions expected imminently.)
New features include:
- A new UI, including menus that can be ‘dragged with momentum’
- The option to paint directly on voxel models
- LiveClay tools that allow sculpting with real-time decimation on polygonal models
- New retopology tools, such as Extrude, facilitating polygonal modeling in the Retopology room
- New tools for creating and closing large holes in meshes
- Ghosting of layers
- Export to Collada (DAE) file format
There is no official release date or pricing details yet, but 3D-Coat forum moderator (and occasional CG Channel commentator) Phil Nolan speculates on CG Talk that version 4.0 will ship by the end of October.
(Full disclosure: we shamelessly lifted the feature list above from Phil’s original CG Talk post.)
You can also buy 3D-Coat 3 at current pricing and receive a free upgrade when version 4 ships.
Read the release thread on the 3D-Coat forum (Includes download links)