Signup for the Newsletter

Autodesk cans its 123D apps

Friday, December 23rd, 2016 | Posted by Jim Thacker

161223_AutodeskDiscontinues123Dapps

Autodesk is discontinuing its 123D family of 3D apps next March, the company has announced.

Support for the Windows, iOS and Android apps, which includes photogrammetry tool 123D Catch and modelling tools 123D Make, 123D Design and 123D Sculpt+, will cease on 31 March 2017.

Underlying tech will be integrated into Autodesk’s browser-based tools
Over the past five years, Autodesk has steadily expanded the 123D family of apps, targeting hobbyists and the emerging maker community as well as traditional 3D artists.

As well as the modelling and photogrammetry apps, the 123D product family also now includes electrical circuit design tool Circuits and online 3D design and printing platform Tinkercad.

Of that line-up, Tinkercad is the only one being preserved as a standalone product, with the functionality of the others due to be intergrated into it and Autodesk’s other products.

123D Make will be incorporated into Fusion 360, Autodesk’s online CAD platform, while 123D Catch will become part of reality capture solution ReMake, formerly known as Memento.

Both have free editions, and Fusion 360 is completely free to anyone with revenue under $100,000/year.

The future of the underlying technology from the other apps seems less certain: as a sculpting package, 123D Sculpt+ doesn’t seem like a natural fit for either ReMake or Fusion 360.

Downloads due to be suspended on 31 March 2017, along with 123Dapp.com
Autodesk doesn’t give any reason for the decision to discontinue the 123D apps, apart from a desire to “streamline product offerings” and its ongoing efforts to migrate software to its cloud-based services.

In its statement, the company says that it remains “committed to providing free tools to hobbyists, kids, hackers, and makers around the world”.

The individual apps will remain available until 31 March 2017, after which point new downloads will be suspended, along with updates to and support for existing installations.

Autodesk will also be closing its 123Dapp.com portal on 31 March, making it impossible to access any models or projects stored in online accounts after that point.

Read Autodesk’s blog post announcing the discontinuation of the 123D apps

Read the company’s FAQs about the discontinuation of the apps

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 responses to “Autodesk cans its 123D apps”

1. Adam Beamish said:

The 123d apps were very useful which helped people learn about 3D modelling for the first time or to continue being creative on a portable device away from their PC. The 123D range was also very useful for creating 3D models on an iPad even if you use Zbrush professionally. This is a very strange move by Autodesk who always said that they are a social company that listens to their community and who likes to help people discover their 3D creativity. But then again look how they treated over 900 employees at the beginning of 2016 by making them redundant and then shortly after announcing big increases in company profit! Talk about kicking someone when they’re down! Remember what happened to Softimage XSI and their users!

So I guess this is Autodesk’s Christmas gift to their community and future potential customers. Bah humbug!

8:06 pm on Saturday, December 24, 2016

2. hansel said:

Why even get attached to any of these “free” software from major companies? They just destroy them within a few years.

11:09 pm on Sunday, December 25, 2016

3. erikals said:

[SIZE=1] [/SIZE]
    well, that is AutoDesk policy alright…

11:56 am on Tuesday, December 27, 2016

4. Charlie said:

i will miss him.. RIP

WHYYYY AUTODEEEEEEEEEEEEEESK

2:44 pm on Tuesday, March 21, 2017

5. Jesse said:

I spent a couple months away from this hobby, with NO email from autodesk, only to return one day before the service is cancelled. For the record, the android and pc apps are gone ahead of schedule.

7:49 pm on Thursday, March 30, 2017

6. Alex said:

All my models GONE…. Everything I was developing and stored in Autodesk cloud is now gone and I can no longer access or import it. Should we ever trust Autodesk to keep work in their cloud?

11:01 am on Saturday, May 6, 2017

7. Madatarms said:

Damn you can’t be serious man.

I stepped away from 123D sculpt for a bit hoping to return someday, but never thought a high profile company like Autodesk would close the doors like this. I had a lot of great models in my online gallery only to be wiped like that is BS and without any notice dude. If anyone remembers my work, they know I put allot of effort and time into those damn things as did lots of people only to have the carpet pulled out from underneath. Well atleast I still have the app along with 123design so I guess that’s better then absolutely nothing. Still pretty pissed, atleast 8 great sculpts that I can remember gone just like that, well that’s my fault, should had backed them up, but I hope atleast other sculptors like Adam got their awesome sculpts out of there before this happened.

4:10 am on Thursday, June 29, 2017

8. berkathegreat said:

i loved this app to death.. the community was awesome aside from the jerks who’d steal sculpts from other users. the app was a real confidence booster and again, i loved it. every day i’d get home from school, to a new comment or like on one of my sculpts and it just made me feel good! please return the app one day! i have it and can sculpt but i have no real motivation because i can’t show the community what i’ve done, what i was proud of. many users probably don’t remember me, but as far as i know, i was slightly well known on there. i just hope and pray that they’ll bring back sculpt plus or make another just as awesome as it. sculpt plus was one of the best apps i’ve ever had and it’s a shame to see it go. 🙁

3:55 pm on Sunday, August 20, 2017

9. Dave o said:

I teach engineering grade 6-12, and Autodesk used to have a fantastic education focus, with some of the best CAD edu packages out there. Very sad to see them move away from their roots like this. all of my students have lost their models (which i said they’d always have access to), as well as Sculpt+, which was far and away the most intuitive digital sculpting software around. I hope they re-evaluate their intent around education someday.

3:12 pm on Thursday, September 7, 2017

10. lightwaver said:

that was close, so I checked and luckily the apps are still in my library
    only app not working is 123D Sculpt, but 123D Sculpt+ is working on iOS 11

well… Autodesk really made a habit out of this
    same was 123D, it’s gone for good