Imagineer Systems has updated mocha, its planar tracking system, adding an improved lens distortion workflow (shown in the video above) and support for RED camera files.
Workflow with Assimilate’s Scratch DI system and FXhome’s editing and effects package HitFilm have been improved. HitFilm 2 Ultimate, released last week, now bundles a version of mocha as standard.
You can read the full feature set in the press release below. mocha Pro 3.1 is available now for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, price $1,495. Standalone After Effects, Motion and Final Cut edition mocha AE 3.1 costs $245.
PRESS RELEASE (Excerpts)
Imagineer Systems today announced it has launched mocha v3.1, with an improved lens distortion workflow that allow users to easily analyze, calibrate and remove camera lens distortion for advanced effects compositing tasks. mocha v3.1 also includes new support for RED (R3D) files, ASSIMILATE SCRATCH 7 and HitFilm 2 Ultimate.
With this new release, Imagineer strengthens mocha AE v3.1 with a new Lens Module and a free mocha Lens plug-in for After Effects CS4-CS6 . Now After Effects users will have an an affordable, easy to use solution for handling lens distorted footage. Additionally, mocha AE v3.1 adds 3D camera export to the newly launched HitFilm 2 Ultimate from FXhome, an increasingly popular and affordable visual effects tool for consumer and hobbyist filmmakers worldwide.
With the new mocha Pro v3.1, Imagineer greatly improves the Lens Module with enhanced calibration performance and new import/export handling of Distortion Maps allowing for lens distortion exchange with industry popular VFX applications, including Nuke, After Effects, Flame and Fusion.
What’s New in mocha Pro v3.1
The development team at Imagineer has invested significant time and resources, working directly with customers, to enhance the mocha Pro workflow, and to ensure it integrates easily with the tools and platforms they use everyday. New features in mocha Pro v3.1 include:
- Greatly improved Lens Module;
- Ability to import and use External Distortion Maps in all mocha Pro modules;
- Ability to export rasterized Distortion Maps for Nuke, Fusion, Flame and more.
- Support for export to new mocha Lens plug-in for After Effects.
- 3D Camera export to HitFilm2 from FXhome
- RED (R3D) file support
- Export colored roto shapes directly to Nuke and After Effects (or render externally)
- Seamlessly export Planar Tracking data to ASSIMILATE SCRATCH 7
Of significance in mocha Pro v3.1 is the new Planar Tracking data export capability for ASSIMILATE SCRATCH 7. With this new feature, mocha Pro now offers new support and a process for SCRATCH users to import planar tracking data for transform, scale, rotation and corner pin perspective. With this new workflow, artists can handle the most difficult motion tracking shots for screen inserts, match moves, set extensions and image stabilization.
What’s New in mocha AE v3.1
mocha AE v3.1 strengthens its toolset with a workflow for handling lens distorted footage and format support enhancements including:
- A new Lens Module for analyzing and calibrating clips;
- A new mocha Lens plug-in for After Effects users, enabling artists to paste lens data directly to the After Effects timeline to distort or undistort layers. mocha Lens is a free plug-in and works with Adobe CS4-CS6.
- RED (R3D) file support;
- Ability to export color roto shapes to mocha shape for AE plug-in.
- 3D Camera Export to HitFilm 2 Ultimate
Read more about mocha 3.1 on the Imagineer Systems website
(Includes more demo videos)