Signup for the Newsletter

Get a job in visual effects, earn just $8 an hour

Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 | Posted by Jim Thacker

Image: Wikimedia Commons

Need proof the recession is still biting? Campaigning blog VFX Soldier has just turned up an example of a minimum-wage job in visual effects. The position, advertised last week on Craigslist by an unnamed studio in Longwood, Florida, pays just $8 an hour.

Not entirely surprisingly, it’s for the dimensionalisation of stereoscopic footage – a job quickly becoming the ultimate low-status entry point into the industry – and is advertised as “no previous experience required”.

Read the original VFX Soldier blog post here (The original ad doesn’t seem to be on Craigslist any more)

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 responses to “Get a job in visual effects, earn just $8 an hour”

1. Meat puppet said:

That’s nothing. In Utah those cheep bastards will either lie to your face and say that you will be paid what your worth and you wont see a dime, or they will expect you to slave away 3 weeks + and only pay you $200. This is why I moved to L.A. because I will NEVER WORK FOR A MORMON again!

6:07 pm on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

2. LULZ said:

Any specific reason you used that picture for the article? Those are Russian coins. I thought the article was going to compare wages for VFX jobs across the globe, because $8/hour in Russia would be like a goldmine.

2:38 am on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

3. Gustavo said:

Wow, no experience required?! That will make some nice stereo-converted movies… NOT!

6:49 am on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

4. Robertb said:

Just another example of why I need to move out of this state. The VFX economy here is slowly dying off if not already completely comatose.

1:47 pm on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

5. Jim Thacker said:

@LULZ: The short answer is ‘because it was the only free stock image of coins I could find yesterday’. I’ve just updated it. 😉

(You actually made me wonder how much VFX artists do earn in Russia. I couldn’t find any specific figures, but according to worldsalaries.org, the average wage there is 3.69 times lower than in the US, so I guess $8/hour would be reasonable, but not excessive.)

4:25 pm on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

6. to LULZ said:

LULZ:
    1. The coins in the picture are not russain. U need to look more carefully.
    2. 8$ in Russia is starting price only for 0 experience students. In Russia usually u get as low as 2000$ month. Of course, depends in what region u live.

12:47 pm on Wednesday, February 2, 2011

7. Jim Thacker said:

I’ve actually updated the image now. The original photo did show Russian coins, so I was caught fair and square. 😉

1:23 pm on Wednesday, February 2, 2011