Signup for the Newsletter

Fabric Software discontinues Fabric Engine

Saturday, October 28th, 2017 | Posted by Jim Thacker

Fabric Software has discontinued work on Fabric Engine, its much-praised framework for developing custom tools for VFX and games pipelines, along with its supporting tools for DCC software.

A message on the Fabric Engine homepage simply reads: “Thank you for your interest in Fabric Engine. Please note that we are no longer developing our software platform and tools.”

The firm’s Vimeo and social media channels are also no longer accessible.

We’ve contacted former Fabric Software staff to try to find out more, and will update if we hear back.

Read the announcment on the Fabric Engine website

Tags: , , ,

Comments

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 responses to “Fabric Software discontinues Fabric Engine”

1. Akelian said:

No news anywhere… I cannot believe it :O

12:21 pm on Sunday, October 29, 2017

2. vincent said:

I live in montreal, know of the founders personally. sorry to burst people’s bubble but they didn’t get bought out or made a ton of cash. Sadly they went bankrupt hence they can’t disclose any information for now.

1:22 am on Tuesday, October 31, 2017

3. gretel said:

It was a decent idea, but it had no real home. They should’ve just somehow got partners to include Fabric Engine in third-party software by default, instead of seeking people to license it and integrate it themselves. Nobody needed it so much to turn their pipelines on to it.

2:21 am on Tuesday, October 31, 2017

4. Francois said:

Completely Agree with Gretel, I’ve often wondered why they simply didn’t package their awesome toolset as a complete 3D package instead. It would have been one of the most advance 3D tool on the market, instead of asking companies to make their own.

10:14 am on Tuesday, October 31, 2017

5. aol said:

They were Softimage guys who got burned by Autodesk. There’s no way they were going to go down that path. Too bad the path they chose did not work out. It is a profoundly major loss for the entire industry.

5:47 pm on Tuesday, October 31, 2017

6. Perry Harovas said:

They were (are) incredibly talented ex-Softimage people. I really had high hopes they would succeed.
    They didn’t do many of the things I thought they should have, but I always figured they knew something I didn’t when it came to marketing and development of integrated plugins.

I think the market was waiting for a “normal” toolset, or packaged suite of tools, and would have been happy
    if it also came with a way to roll your own tools and do your own integration. Instead, they focused on that aspect, and didn’t go the more traditional route. I have a feeling this may have been what did them in, but again, I defer to people more in the know and certainly have no inside information.

I just know I will miss them and look forward to seeing them rise in other places like a Phoenix.

2:12 pm on Wednesday, November 1, 2017

7. Butch said:

I hope they all find work quickly.

There some pretty severe problems more with the business sides of things with this company/app than the tech parts, which is what makes this so sad. This app could have been and maybe even should have been very, very successful.

The fact that the tool primarily worked through a web browser likely made it a non-starter for a lot of people…I tend to believe it just cast an undesirable light of lack of professionalism/lack of stability. It would have been better if they’d built a discreet app after the initial release even if they used open source Firefox underneath that. If TDs constantly have to wonder if the next automatic browser update would break their pipeline critical bridge tool they will be reticent to buy in.

The naming of the app was always perceived as nebulous and confusing and then the descriptive feature videos from the software developers rarely demonstrated features within actual use case scenarios, which would have helped tremendously. It would be great if they got funding and direction from somewhere to get a second fresh start.

2:22 pm on Friday, November 10, 2017

8. gustavoeb said:

Hey guys, I wrote a short piece on the last years of Fabric and what talked about what void does it leave. Hope you like it: http://gustavoeb.com.br/whatwasfabric/

4:56 pm on Friday, November 10, 2017

9. Belmont said:

Thanks gustavoeb.
    I will miss Fabric Engine. It had so much potential.

7:48 am on Tuesday, November 14, 2017

10. edsager said:

I realize this is an old story, but if the creators are in bankruptcy proceedings, all of their assets will be part of the bankruptcy estate, with the exception of those items which can be protected with exemptions. (I must admit that I am not completely familiar with Canadian bankruptcy law.)

A piece of software with potential might be of interest to the bankruptcy trustee. If so, someone might pick it up for a bargain.

Well, here is to hoping!

Is there any way to download a copy of the beta?

4:27 am on Saturday, January 13, 2018